CLOSING DATE SET: 12 NOON ON THURSDAY, 19 OCTOBER 2023
CLOSING DATE SET: 12 NOON ON THURSDAY, 19 OCTOBER 2023
An exciting opportunity to acquire an attractive equestrian or residential development opportunity well located near to Edinburgh.
• Traditional ‘C Listed’ farmhouse with far reaching views towards the Lammermuir Hills now in need of renovation.
• Traditional buildings with potential for conversion to residential use.
• Scope for further residential development within adjoining paddock and steading.
• Wonderful rural yet accessible location less than a mile to the A68.
• Generous site extending to approximately 1.53 hectares (3.78 acres) in total.
• Approximately 2.06 hectares (5.10 acres) available by separate negotiation, creating potential for equestrian use.
FOR SALE AS A WHOLE
Council Tax Band: D
EPC Band: F
Sauchenside Farm is located on the outskirts of Edgehead, just 2 miles from the village of Pathhead approximately a mile to the west of the A68, which provides a direct link to Edinburgh. A range of services and amenities are provided within Pathhead, including local shopping, a post office, medical centre primary school and regular public transport into Edinburgh which is just 12.5 miles to the north. A wider range of services and facilities can be found in the nearby towns of Haddington and Dalkeith. Both have supermarkets, a range of shops, banking facilities, primary and secondary schooling and good sports facilities including a swimming pool. In terms of private education there is the 'Compass' primary school in Haddington whilst Edinburgh has a wide selection of private schools.
The location at Sauchenside is ideal for those wishing to live a country life yet be just a short drive from the City, it truly does allow for the 'best of both worlds'. The surrounding countryside is renowned for its outdoor pursuits, including horse riding, shooting, fishing, cycling and well renowned golf courses. The Lammermuir Hills provide a spectacular backdrop for countryside walks, whilst the east coast and its fantastic beaches can be reached within 30 minutes. More generally, the area offers a wealth of sporting and leisure facilities and a wonderful quality of life.
The postcode for satellite navigation is EH37 5RP.
Sauchenside Farmhouse is a traditional 'C' Listed farmhouse which dates from the 1800s. The farmhouse is stone built with feature crow stepped gables under a slate roof and sits in an elevated positioned with super views south over the surrounding countryside to the Lammermuir Hills beyond. The property has not been occupied in recent years and is now in need of complete renovation. The garden is south east facing and enclosed by a stone wall bounding the steading, fields and road.
The current accommodation comprises:
Ground Floor - Entrance vestibule; Hallway; Living room; Kitchen/breakfast room; Dining room; Bedroom and bathroom with WC.
First Floor - 3 Bedrooms.
The Farmhouse has an EPC rating F.
COUNCIL TAX BAND
The Farmhouse has a council tax band D.
The property includes a range of traditional and more modern farm buildings located to the south and west of the farmhouse. The 'C Listed' traditional buildings have a footprint of circa 432sq.m (GEA) and are set in a courtyard layout to the rear of the farmhouse. These attractive buildings require some upgrade but could offer scope for alternative uses such as conversion to residential units or creation of one larger home or holiday accommodation or even a home office/games/gym/swimming pool (subject to obtaining planning permission).
The more modern buildings are set to the south of the traditional steading and comprise:
1. 5 bay steel portal framed general purpose shed with part concrete wall panels, timber cladding above all under a fibre cement sheet covered roof. Concrete floor.
2. 4 bay concrete framed storage shed with part brick, part stone walls under an asbestos cement sheet covered roof. Uneven concrete floor.
3. Stables with part brick part stone walls under a corrugated iron covered roof. Concrete floor.
4. Stable/store with part brick part stone walls under an corrugated iron covered roof. Concrete floor.
5. 3 bay steel framed workshop with block walls, ventilated steel sheet cladding under an asbestos cement roof. Concrete floor.
6. 4 bay steel frame stables with block walls under an asbestos cement covered roof. Concrete floor.
For the avoidance of doubt the timber built stables to the north west of the steading are excluded from the sale.
A pre-application enquiry was recently made to Midlothian Council (Ref: 23/00220/PREAPP) in respect of the steading and surrounding land at Sauchenside Farm. Copies of the response received from the council are available from the Selling Agents but in brief we can advise that the summary response was: "Sensitive redevelopment of the existing Farmhouse and Steadings would likely be acceptable subject to matters of specific details. It is also considered that the principle of small scale development to the gap site and replacement of the redundant farm buildings would most likely be supported subject to detailed matters".
The Sellers will retain the right to remove at their own cost Building no.1 (unless required by the Purchaser) within twelve months of completion of sale with final details agreed at the point of sale.
A further 2.06 hectares (5.10 acres) or thereby, of adjoining (outlined blue on the plan herein) land may also be available for sale by separate negotiation affording potential for creation of equestrian facilities or a small holding. This could provide a highly sought after and rarely available package for a lifestyle buyer. Sale of this land would be restricted to future use for agricultural or equestrian only. Further details can be obtained from the Selling Agents.
Access to the site is currently taken directly from the public road.
The purchaser will be responsible for erecting all site boundaries to a stock proof condition within six months of completion of sale and thereafter responsible for 100% of the cost of maintenance/
The site is currently served by mains water, electricity and drainage. Upgrade and supersession of these services may be necessary within development of the site and will be the responsibility of the purchaser.
Any sporting rights are included in the sale in so far as they are owned.
To the extent they are included within the vendor's title. Plans, Areas and Schedules These are based on the Ordnance Survey and are for reference only. They have been carefully checked and computed by the selling agents and the purchaser shall be deemed to have satisfied himself as to the description of the property and any error or mis-statement shall not annul the sale nor entitle either party to compensation in respect thereof.
By strict appointment with the Selling Agents.
Strictly by appointment with the Selling Agents.
Health & Safety
For your own personal safety please be aware of potential hazards within the properties when viewing.
A deposit of 10% of the purchase price will be payable on conclusion of missives. This will be non-refundable in the event of the transaction failing to reach completion for reasons not attributable to the vendors or their agents.
Date of Entry
By mutual agreement.
A closing date may be fixed. Prospective purchasers who have notified their interest through solicitors to the selling agents, in writing, will be advised of any closing date, unless the property has been sold previously. The seller is not bound to accept the highest or any offer, or to go to a closing date.
Formal offers, in the acceptable Scottish form should be submitted, along with the relevant money laundering paperwork in accordance with The Money Laundering, Terrorist Financing and Transfer of Funds (Information on the Payer) Regulations 2017, through a Scottish Solicitor, to the Selling Agent.
Third Party Rights and Servitudes
The subjects are sold together with and subject to all existing rights of way, servitudes, wayleaves and others, whether contained in the Title Deeds or otherwise, and purchasers will be deemed to have satisfied themselves in all respects thereof.
In particular it is noted that Scottish Water plan to install a new mains sewerage pipe within the property following the line of the west boundary heading southwards along the edge of the additional land. Further details are available from the Selling Agents.
FBRSeed, their clients and any joint agents give notice that:
1. They are not authorised to make or give any representations or warranties in relation to the property either in writing or by word of mouth. Any information given is entirely without responsibility on the part of the agents or the sellers. These particulars do not form part of any offer or contract and must not be relied upon as statements or representations of fact.
2. Any areas, measurements or distances are approximate. The text, photographs and plans are for guidance only and are not necessarily comprehensive and it should not be assumed that the property remains as photographed. Any error, omission or misstatement shall not annul the sale, or entitle any party to compensation or recourse to action at law. It should not be assumed that the property has all necessary planning, building regulation or other consents, including for its current use. FBRSeed have not tested any services, equipment, or facilities. Purchasers must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise and ought to seek their own professional advice.
3. All descriptions or references to condition are given in good faith only. Whilst every endeavour is made to ensure accuracy, please check with us on any points of especial importance to you, especially if intending to travel some distance. No responsibility can be accepted for expenses incurred in inspecting properties which have been sold or withdrawn.
4. Anti-Money Laundering Regulation. The purchaser will be required to provide proof of ID in order to comply with anti-money laundering regulation.
These Particulars were produced June 2023.
Pathhead EH37 5RQ